Dedicated Columbus Attorney
Shawn Dingus grew up in the city of Flatwoods in eastern Kentucky. His father was an employee of CSX Transportation, Chessie System, and C&O Railroad, and his mother cleaned local businesses and homes part-time. Shawn Dingus graduated from Russell High School in 1990 with honors and became the first in his family to attend a university with his scholarship to Morehead State University.
Shawn Dingus’ time at Morehead State University was deeply involved in various aspects of student government, including serving as the president of Lambda Chi Alpha, his fraternity, as well as executive vice president of the IntraFraternal Council. The university named him the Greek Man of the Year in 1994 to reward his commitment and dedication to the fraternal system. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Government, minoring in Philosophy, in 1994.
The following year, Shawn Dingus was accepted to attend the University of Akron School of Law, where he continued his dedication to student government. There he served as treasurer of the Student Bar Association as well as the president of the Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity. He also represented his school with the American Bar Association in 1997, including at its San Francisco national convention in 1998. Later that year he graduated with his Juris Doctorate, cum laude, in the top 10% of his class.
A Distinguished Legal Career
After passing the state bar shortly after graduation, Shawn Dingus began work in Morrow County, Ohio as an assistant prosecuting attorney. When he began, it was as a prosecutor handling juvenile delinquency cases and representing Morrow County Children Services Agency for cases related to abused or neglected children. Later, he was assigned to the adult criminal division. There, he handled the prosecution of adults facing charges of misdemeanors and felonies ranging anywhere from speeding violations to aggravated murder.
Shawn Dingus joined The Plymale Partnership in 2000, where he represented clients in civil matters, including bad faith and wrongful death actions. During his time there, he spent time on the board of the Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association. He is proud to have been presented with the Association’s Slugger Award for his work contributing to injured victims and their loved ones.
In 2003, Shawn Dingus set out to open his own firm, and The Law Office of M. Shawn Dingus was formed. Six years later, in 2009, Shawn Dingus joined forces with Ronald Plymale to form Plymale & Dingus. There, he represents small businesses and individuals in both criminal and civil legal matters. He has had the distinction of representing hundreds of clients helped them through a wide variety of legal challenges.
Shawn values his community highly, and works to stay involved by serving on numerous boards and committees in addition to volunteering. He is on the Board of Directors of the American Constitution Society as well as serving as a member of the Board of Trustees for the Central Community House. He is also a part of the First Congregational Church.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Domestic Relations
- Civil Litigation (Litigation Percentage: 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation)
University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio, Juris Doctorate (Cum Laude)
- Honors: The Top 10%
- Honors: Treasurer, Student Bar Association
- Honors: President, Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
Morehead State University
- Bachelor of Arts – 1994
- Honors: President, Lambda Chi Alpha, Fraternity
- Honors: Executive Vice-President, IntraFraternal Council
- Honors: Student Government Association
- Honors: Named the University’s “Greek Man of the Year”
- Major: Government
- Minor: Philosophy
Honors or Awards
- Columbus CEO: Top Lawyers, 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2013
- Awarded the Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association Slugger Award for Negligence work
- Named “Ohio Rising Star” by Ohio Super Lawyers in 2011
- Recognized as Top 40 Trial Lawyers in Ohio under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Ohio Association for Justice
- Central Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Central Ohio Association of Juvenile Lawyers
- American Constitution Society
- The Shamrock Club of Columbus