Animal injury cases can be complicated. If you are the victim of an animal attack, your legal rights and options may be affected by the actions you take immediately following the attack. For the best course of action, follow these steps and then contact an attorney who has experience with animal attacks.
What to Do If You Are Attacked by an Animal
Victims of animal attacks may be able to recover damages for their injuries, as well as medical and psychological expenses, loss of income, and, in some cases, punitive damages.
If you are attacked by an animal, follow these steps to protect your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Take photos of the injury.
- Keep track of your medical providers and medical expenses.
- Get the owner’s information (name, address, and phone number).
- If there were any witnesses to the attack, get their information as well.
- Ask for proof of rabies vaccination or have the animal tested for rabies.
- Contact an attorney with experience in animal attacks before signing or agreeing to anything.