Columbus Grandparents’ Rights Lawyer

Plymale & Dingus Can Help Assert Your Rights

There are relationship issues within a family which can disrupt the ability of grandparents to see their grandchild. If the parents are going through a contested divorce, even if it is as simple as an argument between family members, grandparents can have time with their grandchildren limited or withheld altogether.

Plymale & Dingus is an experienced central Ohio firm that is skilled in assisting grandparents with visitation rights issues. Our Columbus grandparents' rights attorneys will work with you to identify the specific issues of your unique situation and provide you with all of the legal options available to you. We will pursue all legal avenues to ensure that your relationship with your grandchild is protected.

If you're a grandparent who is concerned about your access to your grandchildren, call Plymale & Dingus at (614) 418-6460 today.

What Rights Do Grandparents Have Under Ohio Law?

Changes in Ohio law have not only ensured the rights of grandparents but have broadened the scope of those rights under our laws. For example, even if the biological parents of your grandchild were never married, you have specific rights regarding that child under the law. You have the right to see that child regularly and to establish specific guidelines for your visitation with that child.

These issues usually come out of situations involving separation, dissolution, or divorce of the parents but can also become uncomfortable if there is a death of one of your family members, the children are moved out of state, or if there are other conflicts within the family structure. In many of these situations, Ohio law permits grandparents to request judicial intervention to exercise companionship with a grandchild.

Grandparents can request such intervention in the following instances:

  • The grandchild was born to an unmarried mother and depending on the county in which the action is filed if the parents do not subsequently marry each other.
  • The grandchild’s parent is deceased and that deceased parent is the child of the grandparent seeking companionship.
  • The mother and father are married but are involved in a divorce proceeding.
  • The mother and father are divorced.

The Process for Obtaining Grandparent Companionship Rights

If one of the above instances is applicable, a grandparent (or both grandparents) can request either the Juvenile Court of Domestic Relations Court to grant him/her/them reasonable companionship rights with the child. To do so, the grandparent(s) must file either a complaint or motion with the court requesting companionship rights and serve both of the parents pursuant to the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure.

The matter will then be assigned to a judge, and depending on the county in which the action is filed, a magistrate, and an initial hearing will be scheduled. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the matter will eventually proceed to a contested trial, which will require the testimony of witnesses and the introduction of evidence. Once the testimony and evidence have been submitted, the court will then issue a decision on the complaint or motion either denying or granting the grandparent’s request, which can include an order that the grandparent(s) visit with the child on particular days, possibly including overnight visits.

The Factors to Be Considered by the Court

In order for the court to grant companionship rights to a grandparent, the court must find that such companionship is in the child’s best interests. These are the same parameters the court uses to evaluate child custody between parents.

To determine what is in the best interests of a child, the court will consider the following factors:

  • The wishes of the children's parents
  • The wishes of the children (if old enough)
  • The age of the children
  • The children's current relationship with grandparents/other family
  • The children's acclimation to their current home/community/school
  • The location of the grandparents' residence
  • The children's schedule and availability
  • The safety and health of the children
  • The physical and mental health of all the involved parties
  • The grandparents' history of illegal activity or substance abuse (if any)
  • Any other factor the court deems relevant

Enforcement Order Granting Grandparent Visitation

If a court issues an order granting a grandparent companionship rights with a child and the parent(s) refuse(s) to comply with the order, the grandparent may petition the court to hold that parent in contempt of court, which could subject the parent to a term of incarceration, a fine, or both, and to pay the court costs and any attorney fees incurred as a result of the prosecution of the contempt motion.

Plymale & Dingus Is Ready to Help

Plymale & Dingus offers more than 20 years of successful experience working with these types of difficult issues to protect the rights of Ohio grandparents and to ensure that they get to see and spend time with their grandchildren. You want and deserve access to your grandchild, and we are prepared to help.

Contact us to schedule an appointment to come in and discuss your situation. We're ready to hear your family's story.


  • I was very impressed with Ron from the beginning of my claim to the end.

    - Former Client

  • It always felt like I was talking with a friend.

    - Stephenie R.

  • His staff is also very competent and professional and I would recommend them to anyone.

    - Aparna V.

  • If you're looking for a Family Law or a Personal Injury Attorney look no further than these guys!

    - Tim A

Prev Next

Contact Plymale & Dingus Today

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.